Petition: Condemnation of changes to the law of political unions
Monday, February 13
Representatives of Georgian NGOs and media outlets recognize the importance of conducting free and fair elections, and therefore consider those legislative amendments to the political union and election laws, adopted in December 2011, categorically unacceptable, as they:
• Restrict civil activities, property rights, freedom of expression, and political activities, and hinder the democratic development of the country;
• Put heavy and unjustified responsibilities on the voters;
• Grant unlimited and non-constitutional rights to the body that audits political and civil organizations – The Chamber of Control of Georgia;
• Pose a serious threat not only to each citizen, but also to civil society, including media;
• Deteriorate the electoral environment in the country.
Proceeding from the above-mentioned issues, we demand the introduction of new amendments to election legislation in Georgia.