The messenger logo

Defense Minister: "I voted for the future and progress of our country”

Thursday, October 31
Georgia's sixth presidential election was held on October 27, 2013. According to the preliminary results of the polls, George Margvelashvili is leading the presidential election in Georgia with 62.1 percent of the vote.

Minister of Defense of Georgia Irakli Alasania cast his vote at the N30 polling station opened in Zugdidi N10 Public School. "I voted for the future and progress of our country,” Alasania declared after the ballot. According to the Defense Minister it was a historical day as the free elections were held in Georgia: “Free citizens of Georgia are electing their President. This is a historical election. As we witness so far, such fair and free elections have never been held in Georgia. All of us – citizens and members of the election commission are proud to take part. Today I voted for the future and progress of our country. I am sure that the citizens of Zugdidi will elect a president who will be full of the sense of responsibility and the cornerstone of his work will be the values and interests of the country.”

Military servicemen also took part in the election process. The balloting process was completed on the military bases of the Georgian Armed Forces throughout Georgia on Election Day at 20:00. Deputy Chief of Joint Staff of the GAF, Brigadier General Vakhtang Kapanadze, summarized the election process in the Georgian Armed Forces for the representatives of the media. He outlined this was an unprecedented free election in the history of the country and the Georgian Armed Forces. 70% of the servicemen cast their votes together with their family members according to their places of registration. The other 30% who were on duty on the military bases voted at the specially arranged polling stations.

“Today, free soldiers of the Georgian Army made their choice without pressure and restrictions. Only such free soldiers are able to defend their homeland and sacrifice themselves. I would like to congratulate each member of the Armed Forces on this achievement,” declared Brigadier General Vakhtang Kapanadze. The Defense Ministry cooperated with the CEC very effectively in full compliance with the legislation. Election process was observed by the Georgian and foreign monitors. Military servicemen cast their votes without any obstacles.

The Georgian military servicemen participating in the ISAF mission in Afghanistan made their choice ahead of the presidential elections of Georgia on 20th of October.