The messenger logo

Public Defender of Georgia calls on all three sides to prevent violation of fundamental rights

By Tatia Megeneishvili
Thursday, May 7
The Public Defender's Office of Georgia drew attention to the violations of the law in the occupied regions of Georgia.

Ombudsman Ucha Nanuashvili released an official statement on May 6 and said that human right violations have become a very serious problem in Abkhasia and South Ossetia and the issue needs more attention from all involved parties.

The statement was released two days after a thirteen year old Georgian boy, Irakli Tsaava, died on May 4 after Russian occupation forces did not allow the boy's family to transfer him to the Georgia-controlled territory of Samegrelo to get him vital medical treatment.

Nanuashvili stated that Tsaava’s death was not the first case and so far it will not be the last if governments do not solve the problems. He stressed that in most cases the results have been fatal.

According to Nanuashvili, in Abkhazia and South Ossetia the rights of free movement, education, and life are constantly violated; people are subject to discrimination, unlawful imprisonment and other such restrictions.

“First of all, the health care system in Gali district is in an appalling condition. Also, limited freedom of movement of people living in Abkhazia is a serious problem. De-facto governments in the breakaway territories, as well as Russia and Georgia, are all responsible,” stated the Ombudsman.

He called on all up noted governments and asked to collaborate for improving conditions.

“Almost 25 years have passed since the end of the hostilities in Abkhazia, and 7 years from South Ossetia. It is time for the Georgian, Abkhaz and Ossetian society to render a judgment on the current human rights violations committed in the past and to speak out for the protection of persons affected by the conflict, regardless of their ethnic origin,” stated Nanuashvili.

Irakli Tsaava, who lived in the Bargebi village, part of the Russian-controlled Gali district in Abkhazia, was seriously ill. The Tsaava family wanted to transfer the child to a Zugdidi hospital, only to be stopped at the de-facto border between the occupied region of Abkhazia and Georgia, where Russian border guards requested special documents approved by Abkhazia's "Federal Security Service" (FSB) or to pay a bribe of 500 GEL. The Tsaava family did not possess either enough money or the requested documents. Tsaava was unable to receive the necessary medical treatment in his village and eventually passed away.