The messenger logo

Georgia concerned over Brussels terrorist attacks

By Tea Mariamidze
Wednesday, March 23
Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili expressed concern about the recent explosions in Brussels Airport and a city metro station.

Kvirikashvili released a statement in which he condemned terrorism and offered condolences to the families of the deceased.

“Alongside wmurdering civilians, this is an attempt of inducing psychological terror in a free society. This is a brutal crime that has to be resisted by the whole world and responded to in a proper manner. In this war, Georgia supports the international community. I would like to convey my condolences to the Government and people of Belgium. I wish them strength and endurance in this moment of hardship,” PM’s statement reads.

President of Georgia, Giorgi Margvelashvili also responded to the explosions in Brussels.

“On behalf of the Georgian people, I express our firm solidarity to the government and the people of Belgium. We must unify our efforts to maintain the peaceful feature for our country and humanity,” wrote the President.

Georgian diplomatic representation in the Kingdom of Belgium launched a hotline for Georgian citizens following the explosions in Brussels.

According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Georgians will be provided with help and information. The numbers are +32 4777 000 34 and +32 470 2442 62.

According to the European Integration Committee Chairman, Levan Berdzenishvili, Georgian MPs in Brussels for the Euronest Parliamentary Assembly are safe and none of them were injured.

World media announced that a suicide bomber blew himself up at Brussels airport on March 22 killing at least 13 people and another blast tore through a rush-hour metro train in the capital shortly afterwards, claiming 15 lives.

The European Commission, the EU's executive arm, has told employees to stay indoors or at home. All meetings at EU institutions have been cancelled.

The attacks come four days after Salah Abdeslam, the main fugitive in the Paris attacks, was seized in Brussels and is awaiting possible extradition to France.