Georgia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) has released a special statement saying that no Georgians were reported amongst the dead in two terror attacks in South-eastern Turkey, which claimed eight leaves and dozens injured.
No Georgians amongst August 10 terrorist attacks in Turkey
By Gvantsa Gabekhadze
Friday, August 12
The MFA stressed that Georgian diplomatic representatives in Turkey were working 24 hours and Georgian citizens could obtain information any time they call +90 533 690 30 40 (Ankara), +90 541 326 22 26 (Trabzon), +90 541 818 44 00 (Istanbul).
The Ministry said the Consulate Department of MFA also worked in a special regime.
Their hotline, (+995 32) 294 50 50, was available during working days from 9am to 7 pm, while after 7 pm and at the weekend people could call the Department on (+995) 577 98 40 20 at any time.
“Eight people, including police officers, were killed and several others injured in two separate Kurdistan’s Workers’ Party (PKK) terror attacks,” Turkish Transport Minister Ahmet Arslan told the media.
The Minister reported that at least four people were killed and 30 others - including five police officers - injured due to the detonation of a roadside bomb in the Mardin province late on August 10, while four civilians died and five police officers were slightly injured in a separate blast the same evening in the Diyarbakir province.
The PKK, which is listed as a terrorist organisation by Turkey, European Union and the United States, resumed its 30-year armed campaign against Turkey in July 2015.
Since then, over 600 security personnel, including troops, police officers and village guards as well as more than 7,000 PKK terrorists were killed in various operations across Turkey and northern Iraq.