The messenger logo

No Georgians suffered in London terrorist attack

By Tea Mariamidze
Friday, March 24
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) of Georgia released a statement regarding the March 22 terroristic attack in London. It condemned the fact and expressed its condolences for the victims’ families. It also said no Georgians were reported among the deceased or injured in the incident.

The ministry said those who live in or nearby London are highly encouraged to keep in constant coordination with the Georgian consulates in the United Kingdom, follow local police recommendations and avoid traffic in the places surrounding Westminster where the terror attack took place.

The incident happened late on Wednesday in London. Five people were killed and at least 40 were injured after an attacker drove a car along a pavement in Westminster, stabbed a policeman and was shot dead by police in the grounds of Parliament.

BBC reports that Acting Deputy Commissioner and head of counter terrorism at the Metropolitan Police, Mark Rowley, said they think they know who the attacker was and that he was inspired by international and Islamist-related terrorism. No further details were given.

The attack was also condemned by Georgian leaders.

“I am deeply outraged by the terrorist incident at Westminster Palace. We strongly condemn all forms of terrorism and stand in solidarity with the UK,” the President of Georgia, Giorgi Margvelashvili stated.

Prime Minister Giorgi Kvirikashvili said that Georgia and Georgians will always stand by the civilized world in the fight against terrorism.

“I am deeply concerned by information on what seems to be terrorist attack near the UK parliament in London. Our thoughts are with the victims and families,” the PM tweeted.

At about 14.40 GMT a single attacker drove a car along a pavement over Westminster Bridge, near the Houses of Parliament in central London, killing at least two people and injuring many more.

The car then crashed into railings outside the Houses of Parliament.

The attacker, armed with a knife, ran to Parliament where he was confronted by the police. PC Palmer - who was not armed - was then stabbed and killed.

The attacker was shot dead by armed officers.