The messenger logo

Congo-captured Georgian pilot’s brother organizes rally

By Tea Mariamidze
Wednesday, July 5
Giorgi Osorauli, the brother of Georgian pilot Soso Osorauli who was captured by Congolese rebels this January, released a video-address, asking society - including them soldiers, pilots, veterans and political parties - to join him at a rally on Liberty Square on July 7th at 7pm in order to show solidarity to the captured pilot.

The video features Giorgi Osorauli with three children of his brother.

“These children are still looking forward to the return of their father,” Giorgi Osorauli says.

He called on the society to show the government how precious the life of every soldier and citizen of Georgia is.

“We should do our best to appreciate the commitment of our soldiers, no matter they are alive or not,” he said.

Georgia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) and the Ministry of Defense (MoD) confirmed in February that one Georgian was wounded and another was captured after two helicopters of Congo Air Force were shot down by rebels on January 27.

Georgia’s MoD stated that the reason for the Georgian citizens’ presence in Congo was unknown to them but added that Osorauli used to serve in Georgian armed forces and he quit in 2015 for personal reasons.

In late May, the MFA of Georgia held a special briefing, wherein Georgian Deputy Foreign Minister Zviad Gonadze said that there were rumors that an attack took place between the opposed parties in DR Congo and Osorauli was killed, but he added this information still had not been confirmed officially.

However, last month one of the friends of Soso Osorauli stated that the pilot was alive and the rebels were requesting the release of General Bosko Ntaganda in exchange for his freedom.

On July 5th, Georgian channel Iberia TV released a video of Osorauli who addressed his family members and asked them not to believe the accusation that he killed many people.

Beka Dvali, the Ambassador of Georgia in South Africa, said that the video was old and it was taken around two months ago.

He added that Georgia was doing its best to get any official information about the Georgian pilot.