(TBILISI)--Several of those, who suffered from severe injuries due to the January 30 ceiling collapse in the Varketili metro, say that after receiving initial treatment the government ignored them.
People Affected during Metro Ceiling Collapse Say They are Ignored
By Gvantsa Gabekhadze
Wednesday, February 7
Dimitri Pailodze is one of the 14 injured who had been operated on due to a serious leg injury.
He says he is the only breadwinner in the family and once he is in need of medical treatment his brother has to ask for a loan.
“I will need another operation in six months. I have everyday expenses for medicines and other necessities after the incident in the metro,” Pailodze told the local media.
He says that no one from the Ministry of Health or the Tbilisi Mayor’s Office has contacted him since he was discharged from hospital.
The same was stated by Giorgi Sakaruli, another injured in the metro.
The Health Ministry of Georgia has responded to the accusations and stated that the patients were financed within the Common Insurance Program.
“If the people now face some health-related problems, they can provide the documentation and payment cheques to the Tbilisi Mayor’s Office and they will cover the expenses,” the Health Ministry stated.
The United National Movement opposition has strongly criticized the government for “ignoring the victims of the government’s incompetence.”
Shortly after the metro incident Tbilisi Mayor Kakha Kaladze pledged that the whole medical expenses for the injured people would be covered by his office.
He also stated that those responsible for the collapse would face tough punishment.
The metro was newly rehabilitated once its ceiling collapsed. The investigation is ongoing.