The Georgian Chief Prosecutor Irakli Shotadze says that he is ready to meet with the parents of two teenage boys, who were killed during the clash in central Tbilisi last year.
Chief Prosecutor Claims He is Ready to Meet with Killed Teenagers’ Parents
By Gvantsa Gabekhadze
Thursday, May 31
The statement came after a street rally in the capital, organized by the father of one of the killed boys, who says that the Chief Prosecutor’s Office hinders the investigation of the case and is involved in destruction of evidences.
Shotadze says that he is ready to speak with the families of the killed teenagers and inform them about the steps of the Chief Prosecutor’s Office.
Zaza Saralidze, the father of killed David Saralidze, stated in response that he no longer believes in Shotadze and his office.
Saralidze, who organized the rally in Tbilisi under the name “Do not Kill Me”, says that he was permanently ignored and insulted by prosecutors.
Saralidze doubts that an alleged killer, who is a relative of a former employee of Georgia’s Chief Prosecutor’s Office, is still walking free.
He said that he can only rely on the support of the Georgian people and announced a larger-scale rally if the case is not investigated appropriately.
“A construction where the fatal incident took place was destructed shortly, as well as the knife which was used to kill the boys,” Saralidze says.
Two 16-year-old boys were stabbed to death in a school brawl in Tbilisi on December 1, 2017.
The Prosecutor’s Office charged two teenagers with ‘premeditated murder of an underage person’, and three others for not reporting the crime.
Davit Saralidze died in hospital due to multiple wounds in his back, while Levan Dadunashvili died immediately.
One of the charged teenagers was detained on December 2, while the other one, who had gone into hiding, surrendered on December 4.
On December 3, the Prosecutor’s Office admitted that the father of one of the students involved in the fight was employed by the Prosecutor’s Office.
They said the man, Mirza Subeliani, had worked in the Department of Human Resources since 2014.
Subeliani resigned the next day. However, Saralidze says the man is hindering the investigation process.