The messenger logo

Tbilisi City Council Revokes Recreation Zone Status from Silk Factory Territory

By Liza Mchedlidze
Wednesday, January 24, 2024
The Tbilisi City Council revoked the recreation zone status from the territory of the silk factory, allowing for the construction of two skyscrapers in its place. 29 deputies supported the zone change, while 3 were against it.

According to the decision, the territory of 33,447sq.m. was reclassified as a public-business zone 2. Previously, it held the status of recreation zone 2, which prohibited construction on the former silk factory premises. With the new functional zone designation, it became permissible to build two skyscrapers in this area.

On December 28, 2023, prior to this decision, the Tbilisi City Council had approved the multi-functional center project in the Laguna area.

The Bidzina Ivanishvili Foundation Cartu plans to construct a 65-meter multifunctional building on the Laguna Vere and former silk factory site.

The Urban Studies Center published a document on December 12, noting that the risks associated with the project have not been properly investigated. According to the document, the planned construction contradicts the principles of sustainable development, the Law of Georgia on cultural heritage, and the principles and objectives of the capital's land use master plan and transport policy.

As mentioned in the document, the planned construction will fundamentally alter the spatial-planning structure of the historical part of Tbilisi, jeopardize the potential for connecting the open and recreational spaces of Vere Gorge and Mtkvari bank, and have a detrimental impact on the traffic situation.

Only 25% of the buildings in the skyscraper project will be designated for public-business purposes, while the remaining 75% are intended for residential use, according to the project.